Following is an email I received from my sister * she is in Bakersfield helping the Red Cross at one of the relief centers. I am
putting a box together to mail, if any one can contribute items please let me know, we are all so blessed and our fellow people are
in need at a very basic level. Thanks, julia
Hi Sister!
Hope all is well with you. The call center has relaxed a little bit but the calls we've receive today are mental health calls.
People are at a loss they don't know where to turn. The people I speak to don't want to defraud the Red Cross they want simple
things to make their lives easier. This man called up with a long sad story and all he wanted was a used mattress for his pregnant
wife to sleep on rather than the carpet that's still wet. Rather than just listening to these people and feeling hopeless, I've
decided to make a very unofficial list of items that people want. I ask them if I can help and ask if I can have their address. I
want to be part of the solution and not just a follower. These families don't want much, just a few things to make their lives
easier. This older woman called today and received her $300.00 from the RC all she wanted was a spoon to stir her pot.
I wonder if you and a few of your friends could put together some kitchen items for her. She needs kitchen towels and utensils.
Could you put together a small care package for her. The turn around time will need to be rather quick so if you unable to manage
this timeframe just let me know. I left my notebook at the call center and will get the address to you tomorrow night.
I feel like donations to the Red Cross for the recovery phase may not address the need that these families face. The RC gives a one
time gift of $360.00 per person. If they've rec'd the gift this is all the help they get. The sad part of this story is many
families waited in long lines at the local level and filled out the paperwork. They were promised cash cards or checks and told
the aid would come in the mail. Unfortunately, because of the fraud issues and mail system issues many cards were cancelled -
leaving those people high and dry. We now add them into the system and assign all families a home visit. The home visist
determines if the damage is severe enough to work within the national guideliens. This is the only way they will receive RC aid.
I've also heard Catholic Charities is out of money and food banks are empty. If possible let's see if we can help one family.
Thanks, VVVVVVVVV
10/20/05
From Julia Re Help For Katrina Victims
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment